Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Good news...tune in tonight!

 
Emilia Dahlin
Greetings Friends,

I write with some happy news to share and renewed energy for writing and performing.  I hope we'll be seeing more of each other.

Tune into WSCH6 TONIGHT on "207" (Tuesday) to hear me talk about The Kids Are Alright, a family music series (the first Saturday of each month) that I host with the Maine Academy of Modern Music and in partnership with the Portland Public Library.  Watch Kafari play the rhythm bones; he'll be our featured performer on November 5th at the library.  I'll be talking a bit about the B.Good Foundation grant we just won (thanks to your votes!), to make this series free and accessible to the public.  Watch the episode online HERE


 

I'll be playing the Monday night concert series at the new Slates in Hallowell, ME on November 14th.  If you're unfamiliar with Slates, the food is delicious, the ambiance relaxing, and they've created a really wonderful listening space that has been going for decades along the riverfront.  This will be my first time playing their new venue.  Tickets can be purchased in advance.

Lucky Clark On Music did an interview for www.centralmaine.com in anticipation of the piece that will be published shortly. 

 

Saturday, November 19th swing by the Portland Coop for local beets, greens, and some free music!  I'll be performing from 2pm-4pm.


Other than performing, I'm excited to be co-directing the MAMMs MAMMOTH Rock Chorus at two Portland public elementary schools.  Think PS22 Chorus.  Stay tuned for public performances.


Wishing you peace and light in these dwindling days.

Warmly,
  Emilia

MUSIC

PRESS
"On Dahlin’s latest release, Rattle Them Bones, she not only sings and plays guitar but also contributes piano, accordion, and glockenspiel. Rattle Them Bones juxtaposes sweet alt-folk with eclectic, jazz-infused experimentation to create a multi-faceted, original sound. Calling her music “acoustic roots with a vintage jazz twist,” she’s amazed herself at her transformation from folkie to iconoclast. From the romp of “Evangeline,” an alternative sea shanty, and the Tom Waits-esque title track’s “background of twisted, naked trees” to the accordion-heavy French noir of the mellifluous instrumental “La Fin,” Rattle Them Bones reveals why Dahlin has essentially cornered the market on local music awards recently."  — Adam Perry, Portland Monthly - "Ten Most Intriguing"
"Emilia Dahlin does not seem satisfied to restrict herself to one instrument, so she brought a few. Refreshingly, she also does not seem willing to let her musical style fall in one country’s realm. Each song may have featured Dahlin’s strong, full voice, but the musical accompaniment was downright global. Dahlin is one of an increasingly rare breed of songwriter, one who is willing to dive into more narrative subjects instead of staying focused on more universal subjects that could apply to anyone. These are songs that tell stories, that transport the listener to different places and different lands. Interestingly enough, her multi-faceted view of music seems to come from primarily American sources..."  — WERS, WERS Boston
"Rattle your cage - Emilia Dahlin continues to push the envelope I think Dahlin is more cognizant of the listener on this album (or EP, whatever) than she's been previously. In her experimenting and role-playing she never forgets her musicality. There's nothing intentionally off-putting or jarring, though you've got to pay attention. The quick-waltz sea shanty of "Evangeline" (not to be confused with the epic Matthew Sweet tune by the same name) is like a great writer working in genre, complete with water moving and the creak of an old tied-up boat. The chorus even boasts a sailor-choir backing: "Evangeline, don't you cry for me when you realize I'm gone/I'm not worth the salt of your tears, and I'm damned for doing you wrong."... Dahlin is very underrated on the accordion, I think. The guitar, too...."  — Sam Pfeifle, Portland Phoenix
 

UPCOMING SHOWS
Slates Monday Night Concert Series Hallowell, ME Mon Nov 14 2016 08:15 PM Tickets
Portland Food Coop Portland, ME Sat Nov 19 2016 02:00 PM  
Village Coffeehouse New Gloucester, ME Sat May 06 2017 07:30 PM Tickets
> See More / Details
 

WIDGETS (Put our stuff on your web pages and blogs!)
SITES
 Facebook       Facebook       Facebook       ReverbNation       Artist Website     

 

No comments:

Post a Comment