This is a picture I snapped of our sweet Sam and Aaron parting ways before we headed back to the states and he headed to Israel/Palestine. After spending an intense 120 days together, 24/7 there's a bond that's been fostered between the eight of us, a thread that connects. We're all connected by these. In leaving, I never intended in severing any of my threads to home, just lengthening them as we move out and come back...move out and come back... These days, we are like the tides.
As I get ready to cross another threshold and leave for Brazil (and the next 5 months away from home), I'm getting in my "goodbyes". I think I've said goodbye a total of five times or more to some people and it's making me question the need and purpose of saying "goodbye". I can't seem to find the right words, but feel the need to appreciate and acknowledge the parting.
When I was 6 years old, I clearly remembering coming home to find that Rosedale, my beloved dog and companion had died. I didn't get to say goodbye to him that day, as I was late for school. That day has stuck with me since.
Preparing to leave again, I'm sorely aware that there are people I love very much who I didn't get to connect with who have been in my thoughts. I'm trusting that the threads are strong and that the connection outweighs the words "goodbye"...

No comments:
Post a Comment