
This is the view from outside my window here - favelas as far as I can see. I'm aware that these places, stacked upon themselves with winding staircases, are a cousin to the towns we went to in Cinque Terre, Italy. If this place were on the ocean, it might be considered charming by most. I've been welcomed in as if I've always been a part of the family and I'm humbled by the warmth and generosity of everyone - beautiful. My Portuguese is improving by the moment (though Claudio and his family might think differently).
I brought gifts from our part of the world, things like maple syrup and a Curious George book. For Samara, who's three, I brought a stuffed moose that wears a hat and vest. She promptly named it Michael Jackson (she's a huge fan).
Today I get a tour of the favela and then we begin collaborating - much song-swapping happening already.

No comments:
Post a Comment